A Florida man contracted a flesh-eating bacteria the week of Aug. 18, 2019. The man’s family said he died early Thursday morning, on Aug. 29.
David Ireland was 50 years old and he thought he had the flu, according to his brother Daniel Ireland. Doctors, however, realized the symptoms were caused by an aggressive flesh-eating bacteria.
Doctors operated on Ireland several times. They removed more than 25 percent of his skin hoping to stop the spread of the disease.
There is a GoFundMe campaign that has been set up to help the family. Daniel stated, “He fought against this disease and all of us will miss him dearly.”
Ireland had two young daughters, ages 4 and 7. He worked at Universal Studios in Orlando. His wife was also employed there too.
The family is not sure how Ireland contracted the disease called necrotizing fasciitis. Ireland did not swim in the ocean or lakes but did use the pool at his condo in Orlando.
Necrotizing fasciitis is an aggressive flesh-eating bacteria that has similar symptoms to other infections. It can be difficult to diagnose in the early stages, according to the CDC.
“Since necrotizing fasciitis can spread so rapidly, patients often must get surgery done very quickly,” says the CDC.
By Jeanette Smith
Miami Herald: Florida man dies from flesh-eating bacteria. He had thought it was the flu