Man Killed by Flesh-Eating Bacteria He Thought Was the Flu

Related

Negative Ions

Today in modern times, more than half of society...

Sonny Gray Undergoes Elbow Surgery

Sonny Gray for the Cincinnati Reds, had bone chips...

Mike Pence’s Motorcade Disrupts Tradition on Mackinac Island

Motorized vehicles have been banned on one of Michigan’s...

Climate Change Activists Attempt to Shut Down Washington, DC

Climate change activists flooded Washington, D.C. on Monday, Sept....

Share

A Florida man contracted a flesh-eating bacteria the week of Aug. 18, 2019. The man’s family said he died early Thursday morning, on Aug. 29.

David Ireland was 50 years old and he thought he had the flu, according to his brother Daniel Ireland. Doctors, however, realized the symptoms were caused by an aggressive flesh-eating bacteria.

Doctors operated on Ireland several times. They removed more than 25 percent of his skin hoping to stop the spread of the disease.

There is a GoFundMe campaign that has been set up to help the family. Daniel stated, “He fought against this disease and all of us will miss him dearly.”

Ireland had two young daughters, ages 4 and 7. He worked at Universal Studios in Orlando. His wife was also employed there too.

The family is not sure how Ireland contracted the disease called necrotizing fasciitis. Ireland did not swim in the ocean or lakes but did use the pool at his condo in Orlando.

Necrotizing fasciitis is an aggressive flesh-eating bacteria that has similar symptoms to other infections. It can be difficult to diagnose in the early stages, according to the CDC.

“Since necrotizing fasciitis can spread so rapidly, patients often must get surgery done very quickly,” says the CDC.

By Jeanette Smith

Source:

Miami Herald: Florida man dies from flesh-eating bacteria. He had thought it was the flu

spot_img